I know, it’s a strange choice. Who doesn’t like apples?
At one time, I loved to eat them. My two favourite varieties were Worcester and Granny Smith.
I was also known to eat a Pink Lady apple, and sometimes a Braeburn. In my thirties, I might eat as many as four apples a day. They were easy to eat when I was working, and stopped me choosing bad things like doughnuts instead.
But years of shift work and hurried meals began to take their toll. I started to suffer from stomach pains caused by gastric reflux. A legacy of fast foods, and eating far too late at night. I was sure that apples were good for me, so carried on eating them as I avoided other foods that I thought were making me ill. But my doctor told me something I was unaware of. Apples are naturally hard to digest. They are fibrous, and contain a lot of natural fruit acids. He told me to avoid them, along with fresh pineapples too.
And a visit to my dentist led to more discoveries. I should not be eating apples without brushing my teeth after, or the fruit acid would linger, and affect the enamel. He also advised me that fresh pineapple was potentially damaging to my gums. I was in a busy job with the emergency services, and certainly had no chance to brush my teeth every time I had eaten something. So the apples had to go.
Every so often, I do allow myself some apple strudel, or a small portion of apple pie. Once the apples have been cooked, they don’t seem to affect me so badly.
But apples are on this list now. Sorry, apples.