Guest Post: My Recovery (Part Eight)

This is the eighth part of a guest serial, in 575 words.

New Year’s Eve arrived, I so badly wanted to see the back of 2017. It had been the year from hell.

I was very surprised that I made it to my 23rd birthday. I wanted to meet up with India in Norwich, but there was no way of me being able to manage a whole day, away from home where I could rest. Mum was going to take me and push me around Norwich, just so I could spend time with India.

The last time I crawled upstairs and slept in the same bed as Ewan, was the night before my birthday. Ewan kindly gave me some money to go shopping and treat myself. Everything I did, I thought it was going to be my last.

Mum drove us to Norwich and we met India about 11:30am. I was wrapped up in my blanket, scarf and gloves, in my wheelchair. But I was still so cold.

India bought me a really cool Harley Quinn jacket; I do love Harley Quinn! We also went to Primark, I can’t remember what I purchased, no doubt more socks to my ever-growing collection!

By 2pm, I was struggling to keep my eyes open, I felt guilty as India had travelled all the way from Essex to see me. I love this girl so much.

As we said goodbye, I hugged her so tightly, with tears in my eyes. I just knew this would be the last time I saw my best friend. It broke my heart as she walked away.

Days later, I went to see a nurse as I needed to have a blood test, routine, I think. As I tried to get into the car, I lifted my right leg to place inside but all the weight I tried to put on my left foot was not enough to steady myself on an icy patch. My right leg went underneath the car and my left leg bent; my left knee took the impact. I screamed in pain. I shouted, “Lay me down”, to Mum. She quickly laid my blanket on the road and wrapped it around me. I can’t remember if I banged my head against the road as I laid down.

Mum rushed indoors to get Ewan as he was the only one who was strong enough to lift me up. He eventually got me to my feet and supported me while getting into the car. I was in so much pain. We eventually got to the surgery and I was still shaking while waiting to be called in for my blood test. Mum tried to convince me to get checked over, but I didn’t want to make her late for work. I’d already caused enough problems with everything because of what I had been going through for the past year.

I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

I was getting checked every few weeks by my GP, mainly due to the bleeding. I saw her in the middle of February. She was concerned about my general health, there was an issue with my liver and thyroid in the results of the blood test. Plus, my teeth were rotting. She didn’t know what else to do other than to keep on checking me regularly. So, she booked another blood test for March.

At the end of February, it was time to go to London to hopefully find the cause of it all.

13 thoughts on “Guest Post: My Recovery (Part Eight)

    1. Yes, she endured all this while she was still very young.
      One of the issues with ‘specialist’ hopsitals is that they don’t treat the ‘whole person’. Eye hospitals only concern themselves with eyes, and so on. This usually means a lot of appointments in many different clinics.
      Best wishes, Pete.

      Liked by 1 person

All comments welcome

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.